Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Feverish!

Fever. Like a red flower blooming under closed lids. Like a warm breath whispering into the ear. Fever. Like flame licking across dried grasslands.

Fever like walls closing in. Like roof falling away. It liberates, it suffocates. It gives feet to the nerve ends.

It escalates. It simmers. And plummets to cold sweat only to surge again. It sighs at every joint. Tells tales hiding under the skin. It turns into red whatever the fingers touch. It turns me inside out. And outside in.

It drips in drops from the porch of my consciousness. It rages and rants and raves inside of me. It fights with me but embraces my body in lethal love.

It is spring fever, like reds of tender leaves I nibbled when I lay down in the grass. It is autumn fever, stripping my soul bare of pretended normalcy.

It is red. Hot. Clear. Dense. Chilling. It is black, swirling in the whorls of my mind. It is blue, washing me out.

It is a thirst, quarrelling with my parched insides. It’s a hunger that eats me up and empties me, mercilessly bringing me down on my knees for the next dole.

He gives me fever.

“Fever when you kiss me ..fever when you hold me tight

Fever In the morning…Fever all through the night.”

He comes in the night. Spreads through my day. He pulls me up, by a string of words, out of the honeyed stupor that I slip into. He paints my waking hours. Lights up my sleeping ones.

He hides, he surfaces and my fever undulates like the calm ocean…smooth, velvety and deep. He gives me fever. Even when I am all cold outside.

I hear poetry. I hear a song. The flutter of a bird and the marching band of invisible ants, tickling across my arm. I quiver at the breath that draws images on my moist shields. And tugs me back by the arm as I turn away. I want to go away. I want to be feverish.

He gives me fever. My very own invisible prince. I fret and flame. Burn and seethe. I love and live and walk with a spring in my step. I am a rainbow that lost its moorings, a colourful balloon in the sky. And he is the fire that feeds my flight. He gives me fever.

Where did my fingers catch this fever? In which instant did fever creep up on me?

I love fever. This fever, my fever. His fever.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

the gamut of striking emotions, feelings, and thoughts....
the interwoven metaphorical picturisations tell a compelling, poignant story. fever is good for walker's creative energies. it is fruitless to attempt to highlight any particular feverish line as outstanding; there r too many that sparkle and, in unison, they reach deep into ur senses.... and pleasure the mind and heart as only passion and consummate literary skills can

Unknown said...

Your fever is rainbow hued its myriad colours touch one's senses and leave their mark. Well written and I enjoyed it. Given the ecstasy of images may your fever carry on and on.
Send me more. Madhu Gurung

సలీం said...

Some expressions chase us forever. I could find many of them in this post. Sizzling, steamy and simple. I could go on forever but just to say the kind of impression it left on me, few brush strokes of mine....

""raktamantaa reppala kinda sindhooramai poosinaTTu,
ucchawaasa niswaasala aaviri yantramu vecchaga railu kootai tagulutundi,
atanki raaka tO eppuDoo antE
mogga vippina mOhaalatO, tanuvantaa agarubattai manDutundi...."

Thanks for opening up a new horizon for me sleepoo :-)

Sleep-Walker said...

thanks guys...ur kindness is overwhelming :)

Anonymous said...

I get impressions, images and montages through the process of going through your material.

I don't just feel competent enough to comment on them.

They are like flowers. Any comment on flowers would only ruin the beauty. They are just there to be experienced. They strike some chord some where and pinch you somewhere and carry you to a diferent world, the other times. Commenting on them or questioning them is a mere mortal's empty excercise.

A new born baby questions the creation 'Why this creation'? How ridiculous. It was there before he was born. He should dare not question it.
He should just ask one question 'What can I do here'?.

So the same thing here. I just enjoy them. Just the fragrance is enough for me. The unexpressed is the most 'lively' thing inside me.

I am happy by just being the butterfly or the floating mist. I need no anchor and chains.
No fixed perspectives, no evaluation yard sticks. Just feel it. Be happy.

Hope you understand my nonsense.

The Intrepid Traveller said...

hmmmmm! Its been almost 8 months to the day since your last post. I wonder if the fever that was responsible for this post had anything to do with your long bout of silence on this blog? If so you need to be rid of it!
Am glad to see you havent lost any of your "creative energy"! This is what you do best. I like the post.. it tantalizes evocatively.

Anonymous said...

Nicely written, reflective of a mental state at both the emotional and neurophysiological levels. The strong use of sentence fragments, repetition and, finally, metaphor, helps reflect a pleasant, yet disquieting turmoil.
There's much promise in this material... Go for it...

Anonymous said...

Crapola.

Sleep-Walker said...

you are welcome :)

Anonymous said...

LOL @ crapola

Sleep-Walker said...

hi anonymous,

nice. how about we take off the mask now?

Anonymous said...

We all think you write most of the comments yourself, sleep-walker. Care to deny/justify? Yours truly, Anonymouse.(We'll be vastly surprised if this comment sees the light of day in your blog...what are you scared of anyway...enabling comment moderation...more like censorship, muzzling, etc.)

Sleep-Walker said...

""We all think you write most of the comments yourself, sleep-walker. Care to deny/justify? Yours truly, Anonymouse.(We'll be vastly surprised if this comment sees the light of day in your blog...what are you scared of anyway...enabling comment moderation...more like censorship, muzzling, etc.)""

Hey Anonymouse,

Nopes, don't deny it. The comments are more fun to write than the blog. I write all my comments and relish it too. And moderation? Of course, to cut the criticism. What else did you think?
so, the mask stays in place!

mid30s_genman said...

o god .. this fever is magnificent .. u engulfed me into it .. please, let there be no cure to it .. n please , o please .. i m burning in this fever .. n cant speak a syllable more.

Sleep-Walker said...

er...the fever is mine, kind sir! : )

Anonymous said...

Is there any feeling that can compare with when loves first comes calling?

You capture the quivering excitement, the sweet ache and the endless yearning so beautifully.

May love do as much for you as you are willing to do for it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, that was extremely valuable and interesting...I will be back again to read more on this topic.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant website, I had not noticed sleepwalktalk.blogspot.com earlier in my searches!
Continue the fantastic work!